Developing the game board design



After deciding what I wanted to do with my project and decided my target audience, I started looking at different types of games suitable for children age 9-12 such as: 




As a result of my research, I came to the conclusion that I wanted my game to have an educational side therefore I used a few games such as 'Snakes and Ladders', - and 'The Cottage of Content' as inspiration for the game board. I also wanted to include a 'life lesson' or 'life journey' aspect so I was inspired by 'The Game of Life' as well!


Snakes and Ladders: "The game is a simple race contest based on sheer luck, and is popular with young children. The historic version had root in morality lessons, where a player's progression up the board represented a life journey complicated by virtues (ladders) and vices (snakes)." (Source: Wikipedia)

Game of Life: "The game simulates a person's travels through his or her life, from college to retirement, with jobs, marriage, and possible children along the way. Two to four or six players can participate in one game."

Therefore my final idea was to create a game that teaches children aspects of Ancient Egypt but also makes them aware of the consequences of decisions made in real life.

 I decided to work around the concept of a life journey set in Ancient Egypt. Players move along the board until they've done enough good deeds/earned enough coins to be able to reach the end, which would be death (seen in a positive way, such as the "After Life", where all ancient egyptians were looking forward to get to!)

As I've never created a game before, I did a bit of research on the topic. 
A very helpful website: https://www.thegamecrafter.com/


I clicked the 'Make a Board Game' button and I got redirected to this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTYWyxYENp4

,
This rough sketch was based on a very old game called The Cottage of Content

(possible layout for the game)

Initial game concept using a 'Snakes and Ladders' board design. Players begin at the START mark and roll the dice in order to move down the board. When they reach certain stops, they must pick a card that decides their fate: going back a step, going forward, sit a round, etc. 

After consulting with my tutor, I decided that I should change the design to resemble a pyramid to match the theme.
I started off with a 3 sided pyramid (that eventually evolved into a 4 sided one) - I wanted the design of the actual board to point towards the middle of the pyramid (I went for a wave-like design inspired by the body of a snake). The base of the pyramid should contain an ending point for the game. 

The pyramid is now 4 sided (square pyramid with a square base = pentahedron)
I also modified the wavy design and replaced it with a more angular design that changes into a swirl towards the middle. I decided that the ending point of the game should be the 'After Life'



Sketch of how the board would look opened up on a table + initial game pieces ideas (round or rectangular with the egyptian life symbol on them) 

DESIGN

Main inspirations were flowers!


This was my first design idea:



I thought I'd go with a sand-like colour but I wasn't very happy with how it looked so I asked one of my teachers for advice.. she suggested a light gray: 


I really liked the idea as it looks better combined with the colourful flower design!

Furthermore I created the other 3 sides using the primary colours (commonly used in games) to add more vibrancy to the design.

I was satisfied with the design at this point (even though I knew it needed further tweaking) so I started thinking of what to add in the middle. After finishing my research I decided to add the face/body of Anubis as he is the God of the dead and it would make sense to include him in a game about the Afterlife!

Visual inspiration:
Anubis depicted in The Book of The Dead


by Elyssa Long


I attempted two styles: a minimalist one and a more complex one as I wasn't sure yet what type of aesthetic I wanted my game to have. I eventually picked the simpler design as I felt it matched the already existing designs on the board.


A screenshot of how my WIP (work in progress) folder looks like at the moment!

After combining all the elements I decided to add more elements to the game to make sure the duration of the game is a bit longer. Here's what the board looks like now:


The three symbols added are meant to instruct the player to pull a card or receive a coin.
The life symbol - pull a blue card (card only affects the person who has pulled the card)
Crook and flail symbol - pull a red card (affects all players)
Sun symbol (inspired by the hieroglyphic that represents the sun) - player receives a golden coin





Print test:

I decided to do a print test and this is how it turned out:

Aspects that need changing:
- backround colour needs to be changed to a lighter gray
- overall colours could be more vibrant
- flower design/anubis simplified (?)


 Anubis vers 2.0. - added gold accents and decided not to add the flowers behind him



Up next, the overall colours have been changed (increased saturation for better visibility) 


Print test number 2:
I was very happy with how the design turned out! I liked the colours and the overall look! 

Comments